& PURCHASING POLICIES
By working with like-minded organisations, we will ensure that we place ethical responsibility, knowledge & education in the mind of all members of our team. Our aim is to reconnect our gastronomy with all the aspects of our food production; be it soil, ecosystems or our own farming land & producers. Every choice we make must be responsible, so we can help create a sustainable food chain.
Rare is committed to improving its environmental impact on the local & global community through ethical & sustainable policies. We encourage & influence our staff, suppliers & clients to help us create a more sustainable business.
We choose our suppliers carefully & visit producers whenever possible. This means we are satisfied that acceptable standards of stocking densities, medication & feed are met (allowing us to assure our clients’ safety). We rely on reputable assurance schemes & government-regulated standards. We take pride in these high standards & our clients should expect nothing less.
- Our eggs must be free-range or organic.
- 30% or more of our cheese is from British artisan producers & the remainder of all our cheese comes from within Europe.
- Data sheets are kept for all produce.
- We ensure all suppliers/produce fall/s under at least one of our chosen assurance schemes.
- We carry out regular tasting sessions on all produce to include local, recommended, past, present & new suppliers to find the best quality product.
- To respect the rules of seasonality.
- To use produce from local farms & growers as much as possible.
- To endeavour not to use any genetically modified (GM) produce.
- To use organic where possible – if not we use a quality assurance scheme such as LEAF.
- To carry out periodical tasting sessions on all produce.
- To use our experience & knowledge so we can choose food which is traceable, ethical & from a sustainable source.
We adhere to the following principles when buying fish & seafood:
- Our suppliers to be accountable & responsible.
- To not utilise fish during their spawning season.
- To ensure we know the minimum size for all species we use.
- To use fish caught by sustainable, ethical methods for each species, as advised by MSC (i.e. line caught, hand dived, etc.).
- We only serve fish that is rated 1-3 by the MCS.
- When sustainable fisheries are unavailable, we will use fish from the best quality, organically farmed fisheries.
We buy solely from R. Green Fisheries as they are committed to sourcing sustainably & we applaud their strict sourcing policies & provenance.
- Can crushing scheme.
- Fat waste recycling.
- Glass & paper recycling.
- Using tap water or if not Belu water as our primary supplier.
- Food waste recycling.
- Initiating energy & water use audits.
- We use greenplanet 100% recycled chlorine free print paper & an eco-printer.
- At Rare we treat our staff with respect & care.
- We pay every team member above the London living wage & supply every team member, even freelancers with a contract.
- We offer free staff meals, training & supplier visits as well as other rewards & incentives.
- We regularly recruit through charity & restorative recruitment agencies.
COMMUNITY & CHARITY
- We work closely with chosen charities & schools.
- We hire some key members of our team through restorative recruitment organisation Working Chance.
- We encourage staff to get involved in various initiatives.
- We offer direct assistance to environmental & community arts based charities & deliver excess food to our local hospice.